Let the Rebel Red and the Peaceful White,
Be forever to the fore,
You’ll be glad some day to stand and say,
Those famous Colours once I wore.
Brief History of Club
Located in the shadow of the Slieveardagh Hills and based in the hurling heartland of Mid-Tipperary, the parish of Gortnahoe/Glengoole could not help being prominent in the Gaelic Athletic Association. It was in 1886 that mention is first made of both teams in the parish, with the club in Gortnahoe being first to get off the ground, and followed closely by the formation of a club in Glengoole. Over the years both clubs flourished at different periods both separately and together, but in 1961, following the ‘one club one parish’ rule, the Gortnahoe/Glengoole GAA Club as we know it today was formed. Also a team called ‘John O’Learys’ from the Slieveardagh Hills area was active between the years 1944 to 1947 inclusive.
Gortnahoe/Glengoole Juvenile GAA Club was formed as a Club in its own entity in 1980 to progress and nurture Gaelic games for the youth of the parish and it wasn’t long before success came its way with the Club winning an U/12 ‘B’ Mid-Tipperary Hurling title in 1981. Prior to 1980, similar to most other clubs, Juvenile affairs were organised as part of the Adult section of the Club. In the intervening years many Mid and a number of County titles have been won in Hurling and Football, in addition to several Scór successes, culminating in the highlight of the Juvenile Club’s history to date when Gortnahoe/Glengoole won the U/16 ‘A’ Hurling & Football Mid & County championships in 2001 in a glorious year for the Club.
Many different fields were used over the years but in 1937 a field known locally as ‘The Creamery Field’ Rathbeg was acquired during the time of the ‘Land Division’. On the 30th September 1952 the present Sportsfield in Gortnahoe, where the Club is located today, was secured in a swap with ‘The Creamery Field’, courtesy of the Dunne family Graigue. This field has been developed over the years with Dressing rooms officially opened in 1986, a covered stand capable of accommodating 400 people approx. officially opened in 1995, and a Scoreboard erected in 1998, together with Flood Lights to facilitate training in 2004.
In 2015, one of the long term ambitions of the Club, to purchase extra land to facilitate additional playing pitches and space to accommodate further development was finally achieved when just under six acres adjoining the present Club grounds was procured for just over €100,000. This money was available to the Club due to a very productive Development Lotto launched by the Club on Thursday 1st July 2010. Thankfully this Lotto is still successful because of the hard work of the Ladies and Gentlemen involved administering, promoting and selling this Lotto together with the people of the parish and surrounding parishes supporting the Lotto with their €2 every week. Over the years many other developments, which are ongoing because a Club that isn’t improving is in fact going backwards, were completed to give the Club its present Sportsfield for use by male & female, young & old alike to promote and foster a healthier lifestyle for the people of our great parish Gortnahoe/Glengoole.
Catchment area & Chief activities of the Club
Gortnahoe/Glengoole GAA club is situated in the Mid Division of County Tipperary bordering Kilkenny which gives rise to some healthy rivalry especially during the Inter-County Hurling championship.
Neighbouring clubs Ballingarry, Killenaule, Moycarkey/Borris,Moyne/Templetuohy as well as Kilkenny clubs ‘The Emeralds Urlingford, and famed Tullaroan are all located a short distance from our Parish. The club covers an area of 26,541 acres (10,741 Hectacres), with approximately 550 houses and 1,700 people living in the parish.
The chief activities of the club are Hurling & Football at all levels from U/6 to Adult level. Scór especially Scór na bPáistí & Scór na nÓg in Figure & Set Dancing were very active some years ago winning several Mid & County Tipperary titles, but a renewed effort is now required to get back to that level. Also independent Clubs looks after Camogie & Ladies Football affairs in the parish while sharing the facilities available.
Early in 2014 the Club in conjunction with its former players who had emigrated, to countries such as Australia, China, England & Saudi Arabia, over the previous few years embarked on, what turned out to be, a phenomenally successful venture and fundraiser aptly named ‘Home to Hurl’. This unique venture caught the attention of the National media TV, Radio & Print and culminated in a very enjoyable hurling game where the emigrants played the local team on St. Stephen’s day 2014 in the Club’s Sportsfield.
Together with promoting the local Club and parish on a national stage, this resulted in a whopping €23,000 being raised for two very deserving charities with North Tipperary Hospice and Scoil Aonghusa Special National School Cashel each receiving €11,500.